It’s order’s up for Selena + Chef as HBO Max announced Thursday that the quarantine cooking show will return for season two. With the sophomore season, the singer can look forward to whipping up even more delicious and challenging dishes in the comfort of her home.
“Learning from some of the best chefs in the world has vastly improved my cooking skills but I have a lot more to learn. I am looking forward to challenging myself in the kitchen on the next season,” Gomez said.
The unscripted quarantine cooking show sees the “Lose You To Love Me” singer prepare a wide variety of dishes, while a slew of expert chefs virtually guide her through each and every step. Selena + Chef, which premiered on HBO Max earlier in August, featured Gomez teaming up with culinary masters including Antonia Lofaso, Ludo Lefebvre, Roy Choi and Tanya Holland. In each episode, guest chefs highlight a charity of their choosing.
Season two of Selena + Chef not only brings the show a new set of recipes ranging in difficulty, but also a new slate of culinary experts and charities to be highlighted.
During HBO’s leg of the virtual CTAM tour, Gomez and Selena + Chef producer Aaron Saidman revealed that the first season of 10-episode series was filmed remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The filming process entailed crew rigging cameras inside Gomez’s kitchen and living room and controlling the machines from outside.
The singer-actress also shared that participating in the show and rediscovering a passion for food and cooking has helped her get out of her quarantine rut.
“[The show] was an opportunity to make something that could make people smile,” she said at CTAM.
Selena + Chef is executive produced by Gomez via her July Moon Productions. Saidman, Leah Hariton and Eli Holzman also executive produce for Industrial Media’s The Intellectual Property Corporation.
Gomez is represented by WME, Lighthouse Management + Media, Ziffren Brittenham LLP.
Selena Gomez’s Rare Beauty cosmetics line just announced the Rare Impact Fund, an initiative pledging to raise $100 million over the next 10 years to provide access to mental health services in underserved communities.
Moving forward, one percent of sales from every Rare Beauty product, in addition to funds raised by partners, will be dedicated to the Rare Impact Fund in an effort to “help address the gaps in mental health services for underserved communities,” according to an official press release. The fund aims to become one of the largest known organizations supporting mental health from a corporate entity.
“I’m so grateful to be surrounded by a team that’s helped make the Rare Impact Fund a reality. Since the brand’s inception, we wanted to find a way to give back to our community and further support people who needed access to mental health services, which have had a profound impact on my life,” said Gomez in a statement. “Rare Beauty is focused on helping people feel more connected to one another and less alone in the world. The Rare Impact Fund will make a direct impact on many lives and, ultimately, make a difference in the world. I’m proud of the work we’ve begun to do with our partners to offer these services to anyone who needs support.”
In addition to the Rare Impact Fund, Gomez’s beauty brand has also launched the Rare Beauty Mental Health Council, an expert team composed of advisers from leading universities, organizations, and companies focused on promoting the importance of mental health.
“Both mental health and seeking support continue to be disproportionately stigmatized in underserved communities,” said council member Jane Delgado, Ph.D., also the president and CEO of the National Alliance for Hispanic Health. “By supporting community engagement and channeling funding into resource providers, we can have a substantial impact on the mental health of all communities.”
Selena Gomez opened up to Amy Schumer for Interview magazine’s latest cover story, published Monday. During a candid conversation, the pop star spoke about dealing with media scrutiny from the time she was a teen and revealed why she has been so open about her mental health journey as of late.
“My intention was never to become a tabloid,” the 27-year-old told Schumer of her headline-making life. “So when things kind of happened that way, it got out of control. And then I was like, ‘Wait, none of this is true.'”
Gomez — who first achieved mainstream stardom in 2007 at age 15 on Disney Channel’s The Wizards of Waverly Place, years before she became a regular target of the paparazzi — went on to say that “the way the media has sometimes tried to explain things has made it sound really bad.”
“When in reality, there’s nothing wrong with the fact that I needed to go away or that I fell in love,” she continued, likely referring to her multiple stints at mental health facilities, plus her relationships with such famous exes as Justin Bieber and The Weeknd.
“I had to start opening up because people were taking away my narrative, and it was killing me,” she said. “I’m so young, and I’m going to keep changing, and no one has the right to tell me how my life’s going.”
Aware of her reach, Gomez — the fifth-most-followed person on Instagram with 173 million online acolytes and counting — told Schumer that she makes a conscious effort to raise awareness for causes that are meaningful to her. As a survivor of lupus and someone who recently shared her bipolar diagnosis, Gomez said she hopes to help those who have suffered similar experiences.
“I’ve gone through a lot of medical issues, and I know that I can reach people who are going through similarly scary things — an organ transplant, or being on dialysis, or going away for treatment,” said Gomez, who underwent a kidney transplant in 2017 due to lupus complications. “A huge part of why I have a platform is to help people.”
Added Gomez: “That’s why I think I’m OK with the magnitude. I mean, I’m not really OK with it — but I’m going to say that I am because it’s worth it. I know that I’m making someone somewhere feel good, or feel understood or heard, and that’s worth it for me.”
Now, more empowered than ever, Gomez also promised to make the most of her platform as the 2020 presidential election draws near. While she joked that a run for office may be decades away, she is intent on “pressuring” her fans to cast their ballots in November. “I’m encouraging as many people as possible to vote. It’s something that me and my friends talk about constantly,” she told Schumer. “I’ll be fully on the ground pressuring people to vote.”
Gomez also spoke about returning to music, with her third consecutive No. 1 album, Rare, released in February; it spawned “Lose You to Love Me,” her first No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
“I wrote it at the beginning of last year and had just gotten out of treatment,” she said. “It was a moment when I came back, and I was like, ‘I’m ready to go into the studio with people I trust and start working on songs.’ There was an air around it where people were very happy because it was like I was going to finally be me. But I didn’t necessarily see it that way at the time. When I wrote the song, I was basically saying that I needed to hit rock bottom to understand that there was this huge veil over my face.”
Read Gomez’s full Interview profile here
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!